Why patent law firms are rated on total output and not quality?

Any ideas?

(Asked by @StartupsIP)

Tags: patent firms

Views: 90

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The first thing that comes to my mind is that quality is hard to objectively assess, and when assessed is not wished to be shared with competitors. Total business is more easily quantified and tracked.

How to measure the quality?

Your question is valid for the case of patent translation in foreign countries as well. We assessed patent translations on behalf of corporations and found that most of patents were wrongly translated. With other words, the related patents are filed with a specification that deviates from the original one. One of the reason was, that the principal agent (the agent of the patent owner) was incompetence in selecting the local agents. The criterion in selecting the local agents is mostly the size of the firm that, of course, produced more filings (or output). It's like they chose a producer with a mass production with bad mass quality products. But who cares, till the corporations face a dispute.

But is it the case only regarding translations? 

Rohaldy Muluk said:

Your question is valid for the case of patent translation in foreign countries as well. We assessed patent translations on behalf of corporations and found that most of patents were wrongly translated. With other words, the related patents are filed with a specification that deviates from the original one. One of the reason was, that the principal agent (the agent of the patent owner) was incompetence in selecting the local agents. The criterion in selecting the local agents is mostly the size of the firm that, of course, produced more filings (or output). It's like they chose a producer with a mass production with bad mass quality products. But who cares, till the corporations face a dispute.

Number of total applications vs refused applications vs granted patents? Litigation cases? Average number of office actions per application? Time from filing date to grant?

Eva Chan said:

How to measure the quality?

I only talked about patenting abroad that related to your question above. Patenting abroad means also (in most cases) filing a patent with the related country's language. It is like filing a totally 'new' patent in the related jurisdiction. In the related countries, there are also a statistic which patent law (IP) firm has filed the most. That's what I meant.

Mikk Putk said:

But is it the case only regarding translations? 

Rohaldy Muluk said:

Your question is valid for the case of patent translation in foreign countries as well. We assessed patent translations on behalf of corporations and found that most of patents were wrongly translated. With other words, the related patents are filed with a specification that deviates from the original one. One of the reason was, that the principal agent (the agent of the patent owner) was incompetence in selecting the local agents. The criterion in selecting the local agents is mostly the size of the firm that, of course, produced more filings (or output). It's like they chose a producer with a mass production with bad mass quality products. But who cares, till the corporations face a dispute.

Do you have a link to that statistic?

Rohaldy Muluk said:

 there are also a statistic which patent law (IP) firm has filed the most. That's what I meant.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Share


Add your Twitter profile!

Videos

  • Add Videos
  • View All

© 2014   Created by Mikk Putk.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service