Yes, the size of China's patent portfolio is growing and growing. In the last five years international patent applications have risen...
However, what are they doing internally and who are the organizations driving this? Some charts from IPEXL Analytics
can give us a clearer picture:
1. Pie chart for worldwide patents in IPEXL's databases (all time):
2. Breakdown of patents from top filing organizations with granted patents in China (all time):
3. The important one, breakdown of top China based organizations with Chinese patents (all time)
However, the above snapshot is for 'all time.' That generally means that it is not a clear picture of what's been happening recently. To get a better idea, we can look at the data from the last five years.
4. Shift of volume in the last five years, below indicates the share of the granted patents in IPEXL's database which had their applications made between 2005 and 2010:
Could this be indicative of China's rapid increase or the USPTO's backlog? I was expecting the US to have a larger share here.
5. Granted patents with applications in the last five years breakdown of patents from top filing organizations with granted patents in China:
Notice that Huawei
are now the top applicants?
6. Granted patents with applications in the last five years breakdown of patents from top filing Chinese organizations with granted patents in China:
Notable that 6 out of the 10 top China based applicants for SIPO patents are universities